Friday, September 14, 2012

Inspired by Atoms and the Elements

We spent this week immersed in the anatomy of the atom.  But have you ever wondered about the atoms that are in your anatomy?  Your body is composed of a huge number of atoms, all working together to make biological molecules that, when put together in just the right way, make you into a living-breathing person.  Where do all those atoms come from?  It is interesting to consider that nearly all the atoms that are in your body get replaced every year.  So, in essence, you're literally not the person you were just last year because all of your atoms have been replaced by other Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen atoms that you have ingested or inhaled or rubbed up against.

Take a look at this cool video I found that illustrates the connections you have with the stars.

We Are Star Dust

I gave you a brief introduction to the periodic table using ptable.com (my favorite website).  Who can help but be inspired by the layers of information contained in this chemistry icon.   A friend of mine sent me the link for a fun iPad app called Nova Elements.  You can play a game called Essential Elements where you build atoms and molecules in common substances from subatomic particles (protons, neutrons, and electrons).  There's another awesome interactive periodic table to explore on the app too.  You'll also find a video, that I must confess I haven't watched yet.  Take a look if you have an iPad. (it's a free app!)

Nova element app

Let me know what you think about the video, the app, or another interesting site you have found related to the atom or the periodic table.  Or, you can post your favorite element and why.

11 comments:

  1. I found that the video was very interesting. The point that they are making about the human race being made up of the exploded heavy element particles of a star billions of years ago makes you really think about how much we don't know about the world and universe that is around us. I also liked the musical element of the video, which made it much more fun to watch than if they were just teaching us about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woow I really think that the power of auto-tune is amazing!! .. JkJk. I thought it was very interesting how these atoms could form living organisms like human and how lucky we are to exist as we are right now. With one additional or less atom we might have had seven or eight legs and I'm pretty sure none of us wants that! Also, the starts and galaxies in the video looked very visually attractive and I'm curious now what kind of other life forms exists in the space... -D.Chung

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the video was kind of a pointless autotune version of the speech Neil deGrasse Tyson was trying to convey. I thought the concept of how atoms can form into humans and other forms of life was very cool. I thought it was interesting to see that atoms don't just pop out of thin air and its possible to retrace where atoms were created. Overall, I don't think the video taught much, but it did introduce a very cool concept.

    -jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the video was very interesting. It didn't really give a lot of information, but finding a connection between the atoms from starts and the atoms that we are made up of is cool.

    -J. Austin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to watch the video but it is blocked because of study hall. The app is really cool though.
    -Bailey Bone

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the video is really odd, and truthfully quite silly. That being said it's very informative and catching your attention by putting what would typically be "boring" to some people into a really funny and cool video/song that teaches you all about where we came from. Videos like these are a great way to learn because they are lively, and catchy so they stick in your head much longer than a paragraph of writing would. I personally listened to it several times and even played it for my roommate. The music made it feel like you were just listening to a cool song instead of working to learn something.
    -Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video/ autotune was extremely catchy...There wasn't a lot of information in the video, but I do think it's cool that our atoms are made from exploded stars. Are humans the only things that are formed because of this, too? I.e. what about insects, and the rest of nature?
    I'll probably be singing "we are part of this universe" for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The song was a little bit repetitive, but I think that the video itself is interesting. It has some nice space photos, and does explain how each of our atoms was created from stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with JJ. It's repetitive, but it gets the message across through both the lyrics and the visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The song is really interesting. There are a lot of things I've never known. I especially like the part "These stars went unstable in their later years. And then exploded. Scattering their enriched guts. Across the galaxy" and then every atom in our bodies comes from start dust. That's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quote makes it sound so graphic! I love to think about how dynamic the systems in the universe are, even the ones that are so distant from Earth.

      Delete